The Frauenkirche (full name Dom zu unserer lieben Frau, "Cathedral of Our Dear Lady") is a church in the Bavarian city of Munich, Germany, that serves as the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising and seat of its Archbishop. It is a landmark and is considered a symbol of the Bavarian capital city. The cathedral, replaced an older romanesque church built in the 12th century. Construction began in 1468. The two towers were completed in 1488 and the church was consecrated in 1494. However, the building's famous domes atop each tower were not added until 1525.