Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
AUSY00190RFST.jpg
Image of the Iron Cove Bridge in Sydney, Australia. The original bridge was constructed of wrought iron lattice girders and opened in 1882 after four years of construction. All that remains of the original bridge are the sandstone abutments situated on both sides of the cove about 20 metres (65 ft) south of the current bridge. A decision to replace the original bridge was made in 1939 just prior to the outbreak of World War II. Design work began in 1942 and construction commenced in 1947. This replacement bridge was officially opened on 30th July 1955.